Waste disposal, in general, is a very crucial factor which is essential to keep an environment safe and clean for living beings to exist. Wastes are generally categorized between two sector- biodegradable and non-biodegradable. Biodegradable wastes are something that is not causing much of an issue due to inheriting the capability of degrading into the soil when thrown away.
With non-biodegradable wastes, situations are different. They are capable of staying intact where left behind for years without adequate degradation.
Under the non-biodegradable waste section, there are numerous divisions one of which is medical wastes. Medical waste disposal is something most of the people are not aware of.
Medical waste disposal – the definitive guide – Medical waste disposal remains a major concern for America. Here are the primary reasons.
- America alone produces around 5.0 tons of medical wastes out of which only 10-25% is disposed of properly.
- Undisposed wastes are capable of causing any catastrophic situation easily.
- Used materials of patients which mostly comprise medical wastes are contagious; insects sitting on them carry the germs along with them and further spread it everywhere they sit.
- HIV viruses and many other deadly viruses can spread from poorly disposed of medical waste causing harm to healthy people which is a serious issue in the US.
The medical wastes that require a high amount of care while disposing of are:
- Pieces of cotton and bandages used to cover wounds and to wipe blood or any other fluid containing germs of patients.
- Stool and dirty diapers of patients. Used bed sheets, tissues.
- Used needles and syringes which are supposed to be crushed and disposed of in proper grounds since they contain the maximum amount of germs.
- IV tubes, IV fluid bags, needles used to give IV fluids.
- Gloves, aprons and other things that were mostly used in operation theatres.
- Chemotherapy wastes.
- Expired medicines.
- Pathology wastes.
America is one such country which faced a huge dilemma for not managing medical waste disposal smartly, but then many acts were passed, and from 2015 the management was executed seriously to stop any sort of environmental issues from popping up.